Communication is the one of the most important aspect of a professionals’ life. Effective Communication is a great art that every person can have with practice. Communication is more important for the people engaged in business and professional services. They need to improve their communication skills from time to time. Professional and business organizations are always looking for persons who can communicate persuasively and competently. We all communicate but just communicating is not enough to get desired results. To be happy in personal and social life one must excel in communication skills. Here are some basic concept or tips to improve your Communication skills.
In general, Communication is a mean by which two or more persons exchange their ideas.
Types of communication:-
1. Verbal – It includes Oral communication as well as written communication.
2. Non verbal communication – It includes Body language, Sign language like visual and audio signs.
Communication effectiveness ratio:
Words: Up to 10%
Music (how we speak words i.e. tone): 30% to 40%
Dance (body language): 40% to 50%
Basic principle of Verbal communication:
1. Be brief and precise.
2. Use simple and sweet words.
3. Be sincere and clear.
4. Consider the timing and occasion
5. Be a good listener
6. Give full facts.
7. Consider the status of receiver.
8. Speaking speed should be normal and should involve variations.
9. Avoid ambiguity.
Body language is an important part of one’s communication. Eye contact, hand movements, position of head and shoulders convey a message to the other party/ parties. By reading the signals sent out by one’s body, we can understand the truth.
Recommended Read: >Tips: How To Improve English Speaking Skills?
Follow these principles to Improve Your Communication Skills:-
Seven “C” principle of communication:
1. Keep It Short & Simple
2. Keep It Strong & Sincere
Be funny, bring fun.
Before communicating, ask these questions to yourself: Who? What? Where? When? and How?
The things those are necessary to speak fluently and confidently:
1. Proper grammar.
2. Rich vocabulary and word knowledge.
3. Practice – use either a partner or mirror to practice.
4. Learning-mistakes correction and improving by innovative methods.
5. Effective listening – listen to yourself (by means of voice recording or speaking loudly) as well as others.
6. Take part in discussions like Group discussion or interactions with other persons.
Last but not least:
Wise men always use two weapons while communicating – Silence & smile. Smile to solve the problem & Silence to avoid the problem. Sometimes silence is the best answer. Always bear a smile during communication. Keep emotions out during communicating with others. Your dress up and looking is an important part of your overall communication effect. So practice and prepare well in advance before important communication occasions like interview, presentation, meeting, leadership, handling management positions etc.